Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Pirate Song

So, every so often you come across a larger-than-life individual.  Someone you admire for their unflagging enthusiasm and spirit. Someone who's had their share of scrapes and obstacles in their time, but who always summons the courage for one more joke, one more smile.

And that's Christopher Kueberth.  My friend.

I wrote this song when we were roommates.  I had begged and begged him to audition for a production of Twelfth Night.  Because he's a fabulous fucking actor who never does any theatre anymore.  Finally, he relented, and went on to do some pretty amazing work.  

I discovered they were looking for musicians who could sing, and wanted them to come in playing something, Chris already had a song I had written about him, but it's a very gloomy one, dealing with his love life and such drama.   "Damn it, Jones", he said, "write me another song".

And the idea came from there.  In two days before auditions, I wrote what you hear below, and played it.  Got the part of Feste, and had a ball.

You'll notice some actual quality in the video. Somebody discovered Windows Movie Maker.....

No comments:

Post a Comment