Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Cold Missouri Waters - cover of James Keelaghan song

Hey.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge sucker for folk music. 
One, because I'm an incredibly mediocre guitarist, and quite a few folk songs are grounded in pretty simple chords.
Two, because they're wonderful ways to immortalize a story, a person.  And my voice has always been best suited for a quiet, somber song.

When I first heard this song, it unraveled to me to its core.  Such a perfect depiction of loss, survivor's regret. And, it's based on a true event: 

The Mann Gulch Fire

I made Jenn play it over and over again for an hour and a half, and each time, I kept weeping.  Sure, I was a bit of a wreck at the time, but there was just something so remarkable about how the song was constructed.  I wanted to get into my blood, find a way to make something half as creative and raw as this. 

The narrator of the song is Wagner Dodge.  He died five years after the fire from Hodgkin's  Disease. 


No comments:

Post a Comment