Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

New Song (Rachel, My Child) - for Ashley Mayhew

Hey.

Now that Ghost On a Stick has wrapped, I'm using the time to do more writing and songwriting.

Over the next few months, I'll post songs completed for top GOAS donors.

Today's song is for a dear friend of mine, Ashley Mayhew, about his daughter.

LYRICS

first verse

the moon shivers
and the light
rends us bare

i'm by the bed
i end the story
stroke your hair

chorus

rachel my child
how you've grown
rachel my child
my flesh and bone

second verse
i remember when your mother
came to my room
we stared like statues
and love so tidy
swept up the gloom

chorus

bridge
and i know that there will come a day
when you'll be wise and on your own
your childhood now a memory
your dreams the seeds which you have sown
and i'll come visit you
but damn if i won't try
to tuck you in
my kin
my rachel
rachel my child

third verse
the dawn breaks
and you giggle
jump in our bed
we hold you close
get you bathed and dressed
get you fed

chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment