Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Mayor of Inwood- song for a three legged poodle

Hey.

Here's a song for a dear friend of mine:

That's my brother, his wife, and their two dogs: Sissy and Peter.  From the day I moved to New York City until they they day they moved west, Peter was a delight.  Full of warmth and joy. Did my heart a kindness when I needed it the most.

Peter has such spark and vitality, even with his disability. Ended up nicknaming him "The Mayor of Inwood", in honor of the neighborhood where my brother and I lived.  And, through my brother's family, I really opened myself up for the first time to revel in and foster pride in a community.

Inwood's not an easy neighborhood to love.  It's out of the way and a mix of economic diversity. Organic restaurants coupled with greasy spoon diners. A sprawling little forest, a Dutch farmhouse overlooking a busy city street. Gentrification's getting its hooks into the locale, but for now, it's got a quirky, earnest charm.

Here's a love letter to this stretch of land.

lyrics

first verse

first day that i came to town
i was a broken down mess
only dress a frown
didn't even have a guess to address the noun
holding up my worry
peter saw i was ill at ease
with a smile and a wag
he was fit to please
led me all around the city
with a happy little wheeze
what a public servant

prechorus
staying alive on this island
surely
isnt a spectator sport
keeping wise
creative ties will guide you
tether your fear to a port

chorus
i miss the mayor of inwood
three legged poodle
his heart could soothe my soul
i miss the mayor of inwood
city changes
love does a dreamer good

second verse
peter plays with the deputy
shes a pretty little mix
shes a jack a bee
see her sigh at peters tricks
shes a prissy little sissy
theyre a good team
took em down to homers run
in the middle of the forest
where the dogs have fun
peter picks a little fight
that he never would have won
with a great dane

prechorus II
peter and sissy
have the tools i covet
style  bravado
done right
steady grace
the will to chase with a fast pace
whims of the world with delight

CHORUS

third verse
been a year since they moved away
california bound hounds
and im sad to say
that the neighborhoods heart fell apart
in a rough way
plain and simple
still at night when i close my eyes
i hear that old familiar whine and those eager cries
from a mayor whose term was a great surprise
thank you peter

prechorus
staying alive on this island
surely
isnt a spectator sport
keeping wise
creative ties will guide you
tether your fear to a port

CHORUS

1 comment: