Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Texts from Last Night Poems - Affair, Aging

Hey.

Here's a fun creative project I've just started.

Go to www.textsfromlastnight.com .  Pick a random text.
Then, write a one page poem max which captures the events leading up to the text in question.

Here's my sample:



(323)
He said we were over, wrote my name on the condom he left in my car last night and said he’d always keep it in case I came back. It was kind of romantic.

It was dark.
That pungent sort of night
Where the Santa Monica Pier
And the hammer of fog mix together.

He tended bar in a velvet jacket, disinterestedly. Sniffing the air
Way a cow predicts rain.
Locked eyes onto my faded yellow dress,
And handed me a glass of scotch, neat.

Same as the past thirty-seven days.

A grey hair, his. First one, than another,
As if agreed upon in a death pact,
Fluttered onto the glass.
But he was twenty-three, he was defiant
That he was twenty three.
Even when I held him naked and unaware
And spied that sunken cradle of bone between
His ribs.

This, this was all ritual and reinforced,
Maintained without desire.
Kissing my sleeping husband,
A book in hand for a club which didn’t exist.
The black Jetta, steering me west,
The bar.
And him.

He wrenched his sad stare into
Something which passed for lust,
Removed the towel from his shoulder,
Pointed to my car.
Muscle memory, rehearsed, repeated.
And, as he opened up my dress,
Pecked my skin with cold, brittle lips,
I cupped his face,
Asked him: How old are you?
And at that very question,
The spell, the weave of brief fulfillment,
It was gone. We knew it.

No comments:

Post a Comment