Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Minutes Before the Invention of Velcro

Minutes before the invention of Velcro,  the dog stopped to urinate.

We had been hiking for hours.  I was glad to be outside, away from work and the windowless factory.

1941.  I was 34, and a widower.  

I couldn't stand drinking.  Heard it was the best cure for loneliness.  Instead, my hikes became more frequent.  Walking further and further beyond the recommended route.

The dog whimpered, and ran to me.

I thought at first he wanted to show off his waste.  He was a proud sort of dog  - loved to make his mark along every trail we found together.

Then I saw the burdock seeds stuck in his fur.  He tried to chew them off, but only dug the plant deeper in his hide.

Squatting down, I held the dog with one hand and used my pocketknife to cut the hairs that held the tenacious burdock.

While the dog broke free and celebrated with a few delightful barks, I held the burdock seeds, each the size of a man's eye, and thought of my lost love.

If Jeanne were here, she would've poked me in the ribs, teased me to listen to the old women who swear by using burdock as medicine.  You could put some more hairs on your thinning pate, she would have grinned.

I wish it was easier for things to keep safe and close.

That people had as much a fighting chance at being together as the burdock has a chance of keeping its legacy alive, holding tight to any one who comes near, tossing its seeds as they walk with the burr's elegant hooks.

The hooks...

Would you look at the genius nature has made
with the burdock's hooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment