Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Beggars Would Ride

Beggars would ride outside my window.

Twilight brought the clutch of hooves spiriting forth - bone to cobblestones, muscles to earth.

They rode without warning. 

One minute, the city would crackle with the festival of cell phone noise and radio station waves.  In the next minute, sound became frightened of its own shadow, hiding in the cool, leafy mulberry trees.

I knew I was intruding, watching them race while the moon pursed her lips and stared. 

I was a child.   A rather nervous one.  I could never surrender to the lie sleep promised me. 

But the beggars! 

Their eyes - flecked with danger, open and alert.

Each rider tore through the dark, mouth wide open in a voiceless shout.

Teeth, curved like knives.

They rode -only for one another.   When the dark grew tired of the earth, the beggars returned to their alleys and tunnels and benches, and slept the way a coffin sleeps, safe and tight.

In the morning, they were like old paperback novels lined with mud.   Guilt pressed its hands over my throat, and I fought the urge to shout and run mad into the streets, singing their singular lives.

Another night.  Another beggar's ride.  And for me, another sleepless wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment